Love you and all but…
1. You installed metal fences around our windows to keep “burglars out”
2. Right under that metal fence is a thorn bush…
3. You lock me in the house from the outside in when you leave, so that I can’t go out of my own house from the inside (you think this somehow adds another layer of protection…)
4. ^all of this combined actually means that if a fire starts in my house and my parents aren’t home, I will actually die.
5. You are the worst gossiper in the whole nation
6. Worst temper I’ve seen out of anyone in my whole life
7. Kept me from doing any sports or any extracurricular that did not “aid” in the college process (which you were thinking about since I was born because you didn’t want me to learn an instrument because “stuff like that won’t help since every kid is doing it”. And I only did Scapino, a hunter theater production, in the beginning because you guys urged me on that it would help my resume and set me apart from other kids since my CT teacher said I should definitely try out…fortunately I learned that I liked acting and the whole thing was really fun), and only until senior year did you let me because “I have time to do my silly little games”. The first question you ask me when I asked if I could join the basketball team: “Are you going to be the captain? Are you going to join the NBA? Then No”. Volleyball team: “LOL, you kidding me?”
8. You laugh at my inability to speak Chinese and make fun of me for it in front of people even though you never tried to help me learn it
9. You refuse to MAKE me do chores or anything around the house because you think I’ll mess up and cause more trouble (washing the dishes? Taking out the trash?), you then complain about how no one is helping you do house work…
10. Allows my brother to basically do anything he wants because “he has a 98 GPA” so it doesn’t matter.
11. Uses the same explanation above to explain why she’s willing to let him do any sport or any extracurricular because he’s “inherently smarter than me and therefore can spend more time on things he wants to do” and then brings up the GIANT gap in gpa from his 98 to my 95.
12. But my brother doesn’t do anything and stays home all day playing videogames because my mom wants that more than anything, for him to get 100’s and stay home in her protection and not risk doing stuff outside. Then says how he inherently isn’t an outgoing person and isn’t like me who likes going out and doing stuff.
13. Told me to not drink in college…like actually seriously telling me not to drink in college
14. The college process is everything, once you get into college, it’s smooth sailing. Therefore, we will mold you into the prototypical college product because building character is bullshit. Oh yeah, discouraging you from doing things you’re interested in is a must, because grades are everything and you must be in the safety in your own home.
15. Expect people to naturally learn things at a certain age when there is no actual teaching going on.
16. You think there are no benefits to failures or mistakes, that both are too costly and you should avoid them at all costs.
17. You didn’t let me use a wallet until senior year because I lost stuff that I carried in my pockets, your logic being that if you lose one thing, that’s okay, but if you lose your wallet, that’s losing everything at once. Um, isn’t the point of having a wallet so that its big and doesn’t fall out of your pocket easily, and it organizes everything so that you don’t lose stuff you just shove into your pockets…
18. You don’t let me go bowling because you think bad people hang out at bowling alleys. You don’t let me go ice skating because you think I’ll break my ankles. You don’t want me to ride a bike and never taught me because you thought it was too dangerous…
Can think of so many more things but done ranting. It’s good that you guys have 100x more positive things. And family is family, but please consider taking off that iron fencing on the windows…
Could have gone clubbing for last day of Beijing, instead stuck with mom in hotel doing nothing cause she’s my mom. gg.